Marshfield Branch, YWCA Cambridge History
The Marshfield Branch of YWCA Cambridge was started with a generous loan from Anna Billings Thurber. Beginning in 1944, Mrs. Thurber loaned the YWCA Cambridge the Red Barn, located on a salt marsh on the North River in Marshfield, to conduct summer programs for teens and young adults.
Her daughter, Gertrude Thurber Tanner, once President of the YWCA Cambridge, often brought city teens and families to the Marshfield Red Barn. She was responsible for the property being deeded to the YWCA Cambridge by her mother, Anna Thurber, in 1961. Today, the Marshfield Branch hosts more than 100 day campers each week during the summer.