Dear YWCA Cambridge Supporter:
One of our Family Shelter residents recently pointed out that people should give to the YWCA Cambridge because we (the YWCA Cambridge) give when we receive.
In our 125th year of service to the community, our dedication to eliminating racism, empowering women and promoting peace, justice, freedom and dignity for all, provides innumerable opportunities for us to be leaders, teachers, helpers and advocates for girls, women and their families. We do give before, after and while we are receiving. However, the more we receive, the more we are able to give.
Whether we give to the women living in our Tanner Residence, to the moms living with their children in our Family Shelter, to the 8th grade girls participating in our Girls Only Leadership Development (GOLD) Program, to the children who attend our Marshfield Branch Summer Day Camp or to others, the YWCA Cambridge is a safe, caring place where staff and volunteers continuously give back.
During the last year we have encountered challenges and experienced changes at YWCA Cambridge, but our giving role has remained unchanged.
- With the help of many forward thinking women who participate in our Girls Only Leadership Development (GOLD) Program as mentors, advisors, facilitators and speakers we continue to empower 8th grade girls who are learning leadership and advocacy skills that will help them succeed in high school and beyond.
- While we had to close our Family Shelter because of major infrastructure problems, we were able to devise a plan that enabled us to rehouse 60% of the families at an alternate location. We were determined that we would not, that we could not, stop giving shelter to homeless families.
- More than 800 children participated in our 8-week Summer Day Camp at the YWCA Cambridge's Marshfield Branch. Each summer our camp, nestled on a North River salt marsh in Plymouth County, offers a variety of regular activities including: archery and other sports, swimming lessons, nature walks, arts and crafts, and outdoor games. Special events included Monday Movie Night, visits from the Snow Cone Bus, Fun Fridays and more. Parents of campers from kindergarten through 8th grade can be confident that their children are well-supervised as they participate in age-appropriate, daily fun.
- We continue to expand our collaborative work with other agencies and advocates who are focused on anti-racism and social justice causes. Our 2016 Stand Against Racism set the bar high for our efforts in this area. We look forward to solidifying the current and emerging relationships that will help build our capacity as a trainer, facilitator and catalyst on anti-racism and social justice issues.
- After hosting the Boston Classical Soo Bahk Do martial arts program for many years, YWCA Cambridge has assumed leadership of the program as part of our emerging focus on holistic health and wellness. Known for its vast array of kicks, the Soo Bahk Do program offers Tiny Tigers through adults opportunities to learn a traditional Korean martial art form at the YWCA Cambridge. We look forward to developing a self-defense component of the program for women and girls.
The YWCA Cambridge and its Marshfield Branch are safe, supportive, helpful places for many individuals and groups in our communities. To paraphrase our Family Shelter resident, when you give to the YWCA Cambridge, you give the YWCA more resources to give even more to our communities.
None of our work would be possible without your help. We hope that you will consider making a year-end contribution to the YWCA Cambridge. If you have given already, please accept our thanks and appreciation for your generosity. Our role has been, is, and will be continue to be one of support for women, girls and their families.
Please donate now to the YWCA Cambridge Year-End Appeal. You can donate securely online at http://bit.ly/YWCamAppeal2016 or complete the enclosed donor card and mail your contribution in the self-addressed envelope.
The women, girls and families that utilize YWCA Cambridge services and programs are truly grateful for your support.
Eva Martin Blythe Executive Director
BUILDING A BETTER WORLD ONE DAY, ONE DONATION AT A TIME